Wednesday, October 9, 2013

kid's garb blitz : Elizabethan Loose Gown

The final component to my daughter's winter garb is a loose gown. In this particular case, it's meant more for a jacket layer than a true gown, but it's styled after some of the Spanish loose gown looks.


I had hoped to use a piece of wool or otherwise similar material, but when it came time to make my selection, I really only had fleece available. In order to get the color, anyway. I knew all along that the loose gown had to be pink.

I really just winged this one, and I can see where I may have needed to do it differently, but it all made sense to me as I worked.


I started with a simple toile in roughly the correct shape/look. When I put it on her, I could see right away that the front panels had to be shaped differently. I decided to make the front panels essentially straight, rectangular panels, but kept the back angled at the skirt.

To create the poofy sleeves, I enlarged the sleeve head to be gathered into the arm hole.


I used the machine to sew it all up, to try to make quick work of it. For the record, that's the first time I ever sewed polar fleece.


I used black twill tape for a trim all the way around the hemmed edges. I hand sewed all that on, just because it felt like it was easier. I didn't have enough trim for both sleeves, but I did have enough to do a decorative treatment on the back.


All told, I love the entire outfit. There were things throughout the process that I'd like the opportunity to try again, but since she'll only fit in the outfit until next summer, I'm very pleased with it.


And more importantly, she loves it. What more could I ask for?


To see more photos, check out the Flickr set.

No comments:

Post a Comment